Sharing thoughts, resources and experiences. We all have special needs.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Staying Focused

We've enjoyed this Christmas vacation but I am very glad to see the return of more structure again.

Too much unstructured time simply does not work well with some kids and Austin is one of them. All this unstructured time has led to more vocal tics, more rocking back and forth, more aimless wandering through the house, and in general more disorganized behaviour. It's driving me a little crazy and I believe it's frustrating for him as well.

I also think it's time for me to work a little harder on helping him plan his time so that he doesn't end up feeling restless and disorganized. In general I believe it's very important for a child to have plenty of free unstructured time, but in Austin's case I feel I need to help him find the tools for staying focused. Otherwise, he keeps ending up in no man's land and that's no fun for either of us.

Now that he is entering his teen years I am beginning to really look hard at giving him the tools to succeed as an adult. I know it is going to take a lot of hard work and perseverance. I also know that with a lot of hard work and perseverance we will get there successfully. One step at a time.

One. Step. At. A. Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment